Friday, September 01, 2006

Atlanta and the Georgia Aquarium



Last weekend, I had the chance to visit my best friend, Rose, in Atlanta. I absolutely love this city and wish I could have stayed there longer than just a few days. To me it seems like a young professional's dream city. Plenty of trendy bars, places to shop and lots of newly built condos-and of course IKEA!

Rose has a membership to the newly opened Georgia Aquarium and I've been dying to check it out. So we went on a Saturday afternoon to the world's largest aquarium which is not really the best time to go if you can't stand crowds or kids. I don't care and I didn't really have a choice anyway. The layout was fantastic with different exhibits across the building. I loved the beluga whale tank, but was a little disappointed with the way too small South African penguin area. In my opinion, you can never have enough penguins!


The main attraction is the Ocean Voyager. An acrylic tunnel leads you through the 6 million gallons of saltwater like you're walking on the bottom of the ocean floor. At the end you'll come to the gallery with the second largest viewing window in the world at 23 ft. tall by 61 ft. wide and 2 ft. thick. The aquarium houses four whale sharks about 15 ft long. They are the largest species on earth and can grow to as much 40 ft.

I have to say the aquarium was astonishing. I've seen many, altough the Sydney Aquarium is still my favorite. However, if you're in Atlanta, you must go.

No comments: