Saturday, October 09, 2004

What they think of us in Buenos Aires

So, since I have been here, I haven't met one person who likes the US or has anything good to say about us. In fact, where it used to be "I like Americans just not their government," it has now become, "I hate Bush. I hate the US. And what is wrong with Americans? They're fat and lazy and have no idea what is going on in the world." I can detect a huge shift in opinion. And this coming from Australians and English as a mutual consensus. The only person I met that didn't seem to care was this French guy. But I don't think he could understand what we were saying. These people are supposed to be our allies. I've always defended my country and even at times defended Bush. I have done so here as well. But now, people aren't so willing to understand or to listen anymore. But I'm not so worried about what the world things, I'm worried about what Americans aren't doing. I just want people to vote. I want people my age to get involved and understand that a lot of things are impacting us in this election and it's essential that we take a more active stance. Most of all, poverty is a huge issue. With poverty, comes lack of education and health care. I work for incredibly wealthy people and all I can tell you is that it is true...the rich are running the United States and as long as they are, the poor and middle class will continue to have less opportunities and less freedom.

Anyway, last night I watched the second debate from my hotel room. I thought Bush did a much better job this time. He was more forceful and articulate. The debate really helped in that I have decided not to vote for Nader as I was planning to do in protest. I guess that's it. I'm ranting and I know people hate rants on politics. I do. I don't want to choose sides anymore. I just want to make things better. I don't want my friends and family to have to work two or three jobs to just get by. The ones that do, they are just too smart for that. So, I guess I'm just trying to say that, I don't know what I'm trying to say. I hope I've alread said it.